I worked as an Interaction Designer in the Software Architecture and User Experience group, att ABB Corporate research. The centre is located in Västerås, Sweden, with over 350 employees, mostly PHD professionals. The main task was to think outside the box and explore how current and future technologies can enhance the productivity and experience of ABBs current and soon-to-be products. The work includes performing user studies, design concepts, developing prototypes and user evaluations.
As a research centre we performed exploratory studies/work and, aside from our projects, also wrote publications and filed for patents. Due to confidential reasons, I can not share all my work from that time. Aside from the project below I also worked with mobile applications, augmented reality and remote control systems.
3-D visualisation tool to improve production efficiency
This projects I worked on have later been published in ABB Review and are therefore free to share.
“…3-D prototype – based on a Unity 3-D gaming engine – was developed to assist personnel in their efforts to enhance the production process. The prototype was used to capture important information – such as the number of parts coming into and out of a certain production line in the production flow. The prototype also presents a high-level map that gives an overview of the entire production process as well as possible bottleneck locations so these can be easily identified and quickly dealt with to mitigate production stalls or stoppages.”
The work included
- User studies, observations and interviews to obtain in-depth understanding of the work environment and how people perform their work.
- Identification of problems and needs
- Brainstorming of potential solutions
- Conceptualisations and iterations
- Continuous Usability testing with the process workers
- both on paper-based prototypes and high-fidelity prototypes on a big touch screen.
- Prototype implementations in Unity 3-D gaming engine
Alvaro Aranda Muñoz
Want to know more?
For more information about the project read the article “3-D visualization enhances production operations”, page 49-52 in ABB Review or contact me.